Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Rhubarb in season

I am not a gardener at all. So what we grow around here must be really hardy and able to tolerate some degree of neglect or my lack of knowledge in gardening.
But still, I love to grow herbs in pots and in flower beds. My numerous lavender plants are thriving well enough. We almost always have tomato plants growing on the deck.
And let's not forget the strawberry rhubarb plant by the back door.
Now, this is as hardy as they get. I usually completely forget to water this plant and it still keeps on giving, year after year.

I made our favorite rhubarb coffee cake on the weekend from a Homemaker magazine recipe. This recipe was published in their May 2002 magazine. Yes, it's been around for awhile and I make it every year. 

I checked to see if the recipe was on their website but I did not find it. So in case you would like to make this cake here it is.

RHUBARB ORANGE COFFEE CAKE WITH BROWN SUGAR-CINNAMON TOPPING
Topping:
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp finely grated orange peel
½ tsp cinnamon

Cake:
2 cups flour
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup orange juice
1½ cups chopped rhubarb

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 8'' pan. Combine Topping ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
Stir together dry ingredients (first five ingredients for cake) in a large bowl. In another bowl, lightly beat egg; blend in vanilla, butter and orange juice. Pour egg mixture into dry mixture and stir just until evenly combined. Spread half in prepared pan. Top evenly with rhubarb (I actually put in almost 2 cups of rhubarb to make sure that every inch of the batter is covered withit). Spoon remaining batter on top and gently spread even. Sprinkle topping evenly over surface. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm or cool. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment