Saturday, December 29, 2012

New books

No knitting news today but...
look at what came in the mail yesterday!
I ordered two books from Amazon and it took only 5 days to get here.
 
I listened to doctor William Davis speak about the issues with the wheat that is produced today on the Doctor Oz show a few weeks ago and he convinced me enough to purchase his book and read more about it.
He writes ''Eat more healthy whole grains'' is among the biggest health blunders ever made in the history of nutritional advice.
I'll read this book and try some recipes and let you know how I feel about his claims.
 
But this book is the main reason why I placed an order on Amazon on Christmas Eve. We watched a movie on DVD and like all DVDs it starts off with a whole bunch of soon-to-come-out movie previews. One movie really caught my attention. The movie is called The Intouchables.
 
This memoir, written by Philippe Pozzo di Borgo served as the basis for the film.
(Taken from the back cover)
As the descendant of two prominent French families and director of one of the world's most celebrated champagne houses, Philippe Pozzo di Borgo was not someone in the habit of asking for help. Then, in 1993, right on the heels of his wife being diagnosed with a terminal illness, a paragliding accident left him a quadriplegic.
Passing his days hidden behind the walls of his Paris townhouse, Philippe found himself the modern equivalent of an ''untouchable'' - unable to reach out to others, as others were afraid to reach out to him. The only person who seemed unaffected by Philippe's condition was someone who had been marginalized his entire life - Abdel, the unemployed, uninhibited Algerian immigrant who would become his unlikely caretaker. In between dramas and jokes, he sustained Philippe's life for the next ten years.
I look forward to time spent by the window reading this book, preferably with a cup of tea when there is a huge snowstorm going on outside.
It always seems like such a great time to sit by a window and read.

Then I'll go rent the movie!
 


3 comments:

  1. Don't you just love Amazon? Anything you want, anytime you want and at your door in days. It's an obsession-but one I am grateful for. I can't imagine life without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - I saw this trailer for the Intouchables movie on a recent DVD and have requested my library obtain it. I didn't know it was a true story and I could read the book!! Thanks.
    I've also heard about the Wheat Belly book. Anxious to find out more.
    The last call for the UPS guy on our road was from Amazon...a floatable dog frisbee. Still expecting their 10" tough ball...hehehe...I won't tell you what I paid in shipping for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting in knowing about the movie.It sounds like it is good.

    ReplyDelete